Skip to main content

Fighting Worldliness: The Secret to Being in His Perfect Will 7/12/2010

Over the past two weeks, I’ve been challenged to try and hear God’s voice clearer. A really good friend of mine is fasting and trying to do the same and I was inspired. If you’re a Christian you know there are peaks and valleys in our walks and I was in the proverbial valley.

During this time, I had encountered numerous circumstances and scriptures on the topic of worldliness (of, relating to, or devoted to the temporal world not the spiritual one). I know at times I can get caught up (i.e. jamming to the new secular song by Usher, watching my favorite Desperate Housewives episode on Hulu or entertaining a conversation that is less than edifying) but as a seasoned Christian these things should have no affect on me, right?

Wrong. We have to limit the amount of worldliness we allow into our lives and this should be an ongoing process. As a believer, I am given freedom! But not everything is beneficial for me (1 Corinthians 10:23). As a rule of thumb, I’ve chosen to follow what Shannon Ethridge has recommended in her book, Every Woman’s Battle, * and examine what I allow into my mind – through magazines, books, movies, television, radio and the Internet. I suggest you do, too, and ask yourself the following questions:

• Does this glamorize ideas or situations that oppose my Christian values?

• Is it uplifting to my spirit, and does it make me grateful for what God has given me, or does it make me depressed or dissatisfied?

• Does this cause me to think about things that build my character, or does it tear it down?

Don’t allow things to enter your mind that can distract you from being devoted to Christ and the things He has called you to do. Paul warned the Corinthians about this possibility when he wrote:

“I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him. But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, you minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.” (2 Corinthians 11:2-3)

Paul wasn’t worried that the Corinthians weren’t thinking about God 24/7! He was worried that the things they were spending time thinking about would lead them in the opposite direction from God!

Christianity.com stated today that “We must fight worldliness because it dulls our affections for Christ and distracts our attention from Christ. Worldliness is so serious because Christ is so glorious.” Am I telling you to give up everything at once? No, of course not, but I am asking that you decrease the amount of the “world” you let in and watch how the blessings begin to flow! Instead of spending four hours on Facebook, spend only two. Use the time you would have been mindlessly playing Mafia Wars to read the Word of God. So many people are asking why they haven’t heard from Him! I have a question for them and for you: Are you really listening? Decrease the flow of “world” into your life and see how quickly He answers! His voice will become clearer to you! Spend more time with Him. How can we hear His voice if we aren’t listening? Jesus said, “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me” (John 10:27).

As Christ followers, I believe we go through seasons of revelation. God will only give us what we can handle (1 Corinthians 10:13) and when we are shown to be faithful with little we will, in turn, be given more because of what we did with the little we had. (Luke 16:10). If you want to know His will for your life it’s simple: just ask. But make sure that you aren’t too distracted to hear His answer. This, my brother, my sister, is one of the secrets to being in His perfect will.

~Aisha Antoinette~

*excerpt taken from “Every Women’s Battle: Discovering God’s Plan for Sexual and Emotional Fulfillment” by Shannon Ethridge

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Single Wife, Again...

Do you ever look back over your life and ruminate on the exact moment a monumental event happened in your life that made it change course? May 13, 2017 2:33PM Not again. This is what I thought as I looked down at a Snap Chat message from a woman who was claiming she was the girlfriend of the man I was currently dating, who happened to be sitting right next to me. I turned to him, "Who is this?" while holding the phone up to his face. He looked bewildered. "I don't know," he replied. The initial message read: Hello Aisha, are you of relation to Desmond Price? I was puzzled and turned to him. He looked clueless. I responded to her, "No, I'm not. Why?" I'm his girlfriend. My hands started to slightly quiver. She's his girlfriend? I looked into his eyes, searching for something, or anything to be quite honest to confirm that this was not true. How could she be his girlfriend if in the 3 years we've been dating (with a 6 month

July 19

Angels Cry I shouldn't have walked away I would've stayed if I thought I could have Made everything okay But we just threw the blame back and forth We treated love like a sport The final blow hit so low I'm still on the ground I couldn't have prepared myself for this fall Shattered in pieces, curled on the floor Super natural love conquers all Remember we used to touch the sky And lighting don't strike the same place twice When you and I said goodbye I felt the angels cry True love's a gift but we let it drift in a storm Every night I feel the angels cry C'mon babe, can't our love be revived? Bring it back and we gon' make it right I'm on the edge, just tryin' to survive As the angels cry Limitless omnipresent Kind of love couldn't have guessed it Would just stop and disappear in a whirlwind Here I am walkin' on this narrow rope Wobbling But won't let go, waitin' for a glimpse of the sun's glow

Imma tell you why I'm mad, son!

Its about that time. Imma tell you why I'm mad, son! Our society sickens me. Don't worry, Michelle O., I got this. I'm not proud to be an American. Why? Because of what our society condones. The smut on MTV and VH1 is our idea of entertainment!? Who's "reality" is reality tv based on!? It was all fun and games in the beginning! I'll admit to loving the Real World. Things just really got out of hand. The Real World......Jersey Shore. I see no positive growth. I see a steady climb of filth. I don't let my son watch much tv. Why? What can he learn? Fist-pump and how to smoosh!? America: dumbing down one person at a time. Sigh... If Housewives (not even married or with someone), Dirty Shore, and things like that float your boat: #NoShade But, if you have millions of 15-25 year olds thinking this is life and how you get down...Lord, help us beacuse they will inherit the Earth! Lord, it seems the last generation with sense was born in the 80's. God ble