Skip to main content

Secular Sounds and Images


It has come to my immediate attention that the things that we hear and the things that we see have an impact on what we think. It has a greater effect on our minds than we may think. I was led to write this article because it has come up in various discussions with a few of my Christian friends. Is what we take in through our eyes and ears really important? If we know as Christians that we aren’t to entertain certain ideas or thoughts, why can’t we listen to certain music and watch certain programs and then just dismiss what isn’t righteous? 

No. The fact is we can’t. Seeds are being planted by the enemy. The solution is to be very aware of what you take into your body. You wouldn’t knowingly put harmful chemicals in your body would you? So why would you knowingly put images or sounds into your body that would be harmful to your soul? Not everyone sees it this way. This is just my personal opinion. From life experience, I find that for myself it’s better to distance myself altogether from things that could possibly pollute my soul.

Listening to “Buttons” by the Pussy Cat Dolls, I find myself rocking along gyrating my hips, feeling sexy and wanting to flaunt it for the world. Of course, I’d never do these things but the very fact that my mind goes there when I listen to songs such as this one, is reason enough to leave the secular music to the secular world. As Shannon states in her book, “Every Woman’s Battle,” there is enough Christian music out there now for every taste and every fancy. It is imperative that we do away with the images and sounds that are chipping away little by little at our souls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Single Wife, Again...

Do you ever look back over your life and ruminate on the exact moment a monumental event happened in your life that made it change course? May 13, 2017 2:33PM Not again. This is what I thought as I looked down at a Snap Chat message from a woman who was claiming she was the girlfriend of the man I was currently dating, who happened to be sitting right next to me. I turned to him, "Who is this?" while holding the phone up to his face. He looked bewildered. "I don't know," he replied. The initial message read: Hello Aisha, are you of relation to Desmond Price? I was puzzled and turned to him. He looked clueless. I responded to her, "No, I'm not. Why?" I'm his girlfriend. My hands started to slightly quiver. She's his girlfriend? I looked into his eyes, searching for something, or anything to be quite honest to confirm that this was not true. How could she be his girlfriend if in the 3 years we've been dating (with a 6 month...

Finding Calm in the Chaos

I can't breathe. A man's final words that have become the mantra of a renewed civil rights movement; right on the back of a global pandemic. Our way of living has significantly changed forever. How do we find calm in all the chaos? Whether you're on the front-lines, side-lines or somewhere in between, you've been touched by the tragic events that have plagued our nation.  Chaos is natural - if you look at the world. It's everywhere - but to find you peace in the midst of chaos is something that you have to do for you. Life is unpredictable, if the year 2020 has shown us anything, it's that fact. Some of us have faced the most difficult and challenging times of our lives. But beneath it all there is a still and calm place you can rest in. 1. Meditation Meditation has been known to have the following effects: Lower blood pressure Improved blood circulation Lower heart rate Less perspiration Slower respiratory rate Less anxiety Lower blood cortisol levels More feel...

1 Corinthians 9 - Passage�Lookup - New International Version - BibleGateway.com

1 Corinthians 9 - Passage�Lookup - New International Version - BibleGateway.com This is really blessing me this morning as I read it. It's entitled "The Rights of an Apostle" Paul is letting us know what he could be doing but what he chooses to do to win souls. He's so serious about his mission; his purpose. He is a great example to me. A verse really stood out to me: "No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." - 1 Corinthians 9:27 This empowers me and fortifies my sexual integrity. God is always on time. Let's beat our bodies and make them our slaves! I don't want to miss out on my prize! Do you?